Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Timeout

Well, we have entered the timeout phase of parenthood. I have a new appreciation for corners-the always dreaded place of my childhood-and timers. I think I can still here the beep of the little red and cream color timer my mother use to use for our timeouts. And I can distinctly remember thinking that I would NEVER put my kids in timeout. So, here we are. 2010...23 years later...walking my son to the corner and letting the countdown begin. I wasn't sure if Noah was ready for this concept, but then again, the Terrible-Almost-Twos have arrived. Sure enough, after a couple of tries, he stayed put!
This morning he was doing his usual furniture climbing when I expressed to him that if he did it again he would have to sit in time out. He looked at me, got off the furniture, and walked over to the corner and put himself in timeout. (It was quite the site!) I then had to try to convince him that he was in fact, not in time out. Once he realized that he had not been put in time out, he was off and running...back to furniture climbing...and then back to timeout. So, here we go. Let the game begin, as it is going to be a long journey. And, I want to thank my mother for being ever so patient and consistent with me. I now know that it WAS just as hard for her as it was for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment